Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chicken Gizzard Stir-fry - Dak Ddong Jjip - (닭똥집 볶음)

 

Our lives have been so busy these last two weeks now that Munchkin is officially a Kindergartener.  I know it’s such a cliché, but it seriously seems like just yesterday that he was born and look at him now - all grown up and going to school to LEARN.  Munchkin has been in preschool since he was 2.5 years old, so this adjustment has been pretty easy for him…so far.  He’s bringing home homework, making new friends and just growing up at lightening speed. 


INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 CUP chicken gizzard
  • 1 TB sesame oil
  • 1 TB mince garlic
  • dash of salt and pepper
  • 1/2 onion, 1 jalapeno, and 2 whole garlic bulbs (or a handful of cloves)

 

IMG_7199

The MR and I happened to be at Seafood City today and I saw that the chicken gizzards looked pretty fresh, so I picked up a package and was determined to make dak-ddong-jip for the MR.  This dish is more of an *appetizer* for beer or soju than it is an entree.  This package was about 1.5 LBS and I divided it up and froze the portions I wasn’t going to use.  Only the MR and I would eat this, so I only used about 1 CUP of chicken gizzard.

 

IMG_7200

Take your cup of chicken gizzard and begin by cutting away the little white parts.  You don’t *HAVE* to do this, but that part is pretty tough and I prefer to just remove it.  I also like cutting up the gizzards into smaller pieces because I want them to be extra crispy when fried later.

 

IMG_7202IMG_7203

After you’ve cut up the gizzards, throw in a handful of flour and salt and scrub away.  My mom tells me this is to get rid of all the gunk in the gizzards.  Afterwards, make sure to rinse numerous times under cool water.

 

IMG_7204

Rinse the gizzards until the water runs CLEAR and bring a pot of water to a boil…

 

IMG_7201IMG_7205

While waiting for the water to boil, go and grab your garlic bulbs and start peeling away.

 

IMG_7207IMG_7210

When the water boils, add the gizzards and let it boil for about 5-7 minutes.  This will help rid of the impurities.

 

IMG_7209

While the gizzard is boiling, ready the remainder of your vegetables.  Slice up half an onion and one jalapeno.

 

IMG_7212IMG_7213

When the gizzards are done boiling, rinse it under cool water and then drain all the excess liquid.  Then marinate the gizzards in: 1 TB of minced garlic, 1/2 TB of sesame oil, and a dash of salt and pepper.

 

IMG_7214

Mix it thoroughly and let it sit for a bit.

 

IMG_7215IMG_7217

Drizzle some oil on a pan and let it get piping hot.  First add your vegetables and stir away.

 

IMG_7218IMG_7220

After a few minutes, add the gizzards and keep frying until the garlic gloves start to brown.

 

IMG_7221

Voila!  You’re almost ready to serve!

 

IMG_7223

Plate it and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top right before serving.

 

IMG_7225IMG_7228

I personally like dipping mine in a soy sauce/vinegar/wasabi mix.  The MR, on the other hand, prefers the good old-fashioned sesame oil with salt and pepper.

 

IMG_7226

Enjoy!  Like I said at the start of this entry.  This is more of an *an-joo* which is an *appetizer* served at sool-jips (bars).  The MR ate his with an ice cold Bud.  =)

P.S.  This is the first time I took food pictures with my G11 versus my 50D.  My 50D was in my car and I was too lazy to go and get it so I decided to experiment with the G11 instead.  Not bad at all for a P&S.  =P

4 comments:

  1. yum. you make everything look good! = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will be drinking a lot more soju now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi sweetie, love your blog. please check out the link below, thanks!!

    http://swtginbug.blogspot.com/2010/09/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share