Friday, November 26, 2010

Fresh Kimchi–Gut Jul Eeh Kimchi with Raw Oysters

I hope everyone had a fabulous Thanksgiving!  I’m sure our dinner table isn’t much different from some of the other Korean-American dinner tables out there.  For as long as I can remember we have always had Korean food on Thanksgiving.  It wasn’t until I was old enough to learn how to roast a turkey that our family started having turkey on Thanksgiving.  =P  Now our tables look like a mix of the old and new with Korean food intermingling with American food.

One of my mom’s specialties around the holidays is a fresh gut-jul-eeh kimchi she makes specifically for my halmoni who doesn’t like the sourness of fermented kimchi.  I asked my mom where she learned to cook and she told me that all of the myun-noo-ris in our family were taught how to cook by my grandmother.  I now understand why the food at all the different households on my dad’s side pretty much tastes the same.  My grandmother hails from a town called Andong and I was told by many people that the ladies of Andong are known for their cooking prowess.

I went to my parent’s house early in the morning to start the ham and turkey, so I was actually able to watch her make this fresh kimchi from start to finish.  It is one of my husband’s favorite dishes, so I made sure to note how much of everything she used.  Of course there are no exact measurements, I was able to eyeball her proportions pretty well…I think.  =P

 

IMG_8821

First, a small peek at our dinner table.  My mom’s *famous* chong-gak kimchi (really, it’s GOOD – and I’m not just saying that because she’s my mom), kongnamool moochim, cornbread stuffing (with cranberries, apples, turkey sausage, almonds, onions, parsley, celery, and…whatever else I had on hand), fresh cranberry sauce, grilled snapper, spinach moochim, roasted ham, roasted turkey, garlic mashed potatoes and creamed corn.  I made all the American food and my mom made all the Korean food.  We are a good combo in the kitchen and totally know how to work around each other now.

Have I mentioned how much I love my mom?  She’s my favorite person next to Munchkin.  =P

 

IMG_8793IMG_8795

Take one cucumber and chop it up like so and then sprinkle a little bit of sea salt and set aside.

 

IMG_8794

Then grab one napa and start washing it and taking it apart.

 

IMG_8802

Then take a knife and start slicing the napa into little pieces straight into the same bowl.  My mom just holds it up and just takes her knife and slices it directly above the bowl.  Then generously sprinkle salt on top and set it aside for a couple of hours.

 

IMG_8803

After the napa begins to look soft, rinse the salt water out under cool water and then julienne half a moo into the bowl as well.

 

IMG_8804

Add some green onions…

 

IMG_8807

Add about 1/4 cup of minced garlic.

 

IMG_8808

Meanwhile defrost your raw oysters.  I wasn’t able to take a picture of the bag, but my mom tells me they sell it frozen in a bag and it’s usually next to the frozen fish area…

 

IMG_8809

Then add about 4-5 TB of sesame seeds…

 

IMG_8810

1-2 TB of sugar…(my mom uses this Korean sugar that looks brown)

 

IMG_8812

Add your red pepper flakes.  Depending on the type of red pepper flakes you have, you have to adjust your measurements accordingly.  This is the one my MIL brought back from Korea last year and it’s very light.  We tend to use a lot of more of this when making recipes because it’s not as red.

 

IMG_8814

My mom then added the oysters (about 1/2 cup) and shrimp jut (1 TB).  I actually asked my mom why she doesn’t chop up the raw oysters (since they tend to look pretty GROSS) and she said it’s because then it *bursts* and the kimchi tastes much more fishy. 

 

IMG_8816

Mix, mix, mix!

 

IMG_8817

And we realized that it could use a little more color, so in went some more red pepper powder.

 

IMG_8818

And voila!  Fresh gut-jul-eeh kimchi.  This tastes best when served within an hour or two of preparation.  It will naturally ferment into kimchi as well and can be eaten when it’s fermented, but because a lot of the real steps to making kimchi were skipped, this type never tastes as good as real beh-choo kimchi.  Yes, I will do a step-by-step of beh-choo kimchi one day…

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  I hope you found time to reminisce your past and find many things you are thankful for.  Life can throw unexpected twists and turns to you, but always remember that there is a light at the end of tunnel.

My latest scans all came back clear.  My chest is free of mets and my head and neck is free of disease as well.  Two years after diagnosis, I am still cancer-free.  I’m sure there are tiny little buggers lurking around somewhere inside my body, but I’m hopeful that I will live to see Munchkin grow old.

Health, happiness, love and many blessings to all my readers!  Thank you for having been my outlet to break down and reconstruct myself these past couple of years.  This blog was truly my form of therapy.  It is a small slice of space away from my real world.  It’s a place I come to when I’m feeling a bit down. 

Writing these posts and sharing our families recipes is cathartic.  It’s a way to heal.  So thank you for helping me heal.

P.S.  For those of you who are curious.  All pictures were taken with my Canon G11.  I didn’t have my Canon 50D with me on this day. 

7 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear that the scans came back clear!!! Congrats! :)
    Also, I'd just like to express my appreciation for your blogging; sure, it can be therapy for you, but reading about delicious food is therapy for a lot of us, too. It's nice to have a reminder that sometimes the things that get me down are unimportant in the grander scheme of life, and that I always have things to be thankful for. (And bibimbap will always be one of them, hehehe!)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love your Thanksgiving Korean spread ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is so important to me! Thank you so much for posting the great korean recipes. Everything I've tried taste spot on. I never cooked Korean because the recipes were off or difficult but you've inspired me in oh so many ways. I'm holding my breath for the be chi kimchi recipe.

    You ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving! Looking at your thanksgiving table makes me wish my mother had made more Korean foods this year. Ours was pretty American except for the kalbi and kimchi on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news on the scan!!! I'm so happy for you. I love you and your blog and i can't wait to try this recipe, i adore fresh gut jul ee kimchee... yum. You need to plan a trip to SF soon so we can finally meet! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your scans came back with good news! Great recipe for kimchi, as well! Your Thanksgiving spread looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yay for the clean scans! i think i will try to make this kimchi dish soon. Also that ham looks divine. I'd love to see a recipe for it in the near future. Glad your well and cooking and should really enjoy these special moments in life. i love your food blog :) thank you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share