Friday, June 20, 2008

Dak Doritang - Korean Style Chicken with Potatoes - (닭도리탕)

Items Needed:

Chicken ~ (I normally just use the wing drumettes, or I cut up a cornish game hen, or use only chicken breast. Whatever part/type of chicken is purely up to you!)

Vegetables - Potatoes, onions, green bell peppers, mushrooms, carrots, peppers, etc. You can pretty much add whatever combination of vegetables you have on hand.

Water & Soy Sauce (I just do a 2.5 to 1 ratio) 2.5 parts water to every 1 part soy sauce.
Minced Garlic - 2-3 tablespoons
Ginger - I don't like to put it INTO the tang, but I'll mince it and squeeze the juices of it.
Black Pepper - 1 teaspoon
Red Pepper - 3 tablespoons...I like it on the spicy side
Sesame oil - 1 teaspoon

_MG_5251
I just mix my ingredients in a measuring cup, because it's easier to keep things in perspective. I used 1/4 cup of soy sauce. (Basically you're mixing all the ingredients that are marked in red.)


_MG_5252
And then filled about 2.5 times that much with water.


_MG_5253
I added 3 tb red pepper powder, 2 tb minced garlic, a dash of pepper, a splash of sesame oil.


_MG_5256 _MG_5257
And just a little bit of ginger. I was watching Rachel Ray one day and she uses an ingenious way to store her ginger. You just peel them and freeze it. Whenever you need a little bit, just grab it out of the freezer and use a zester to get the desired amount. So easy!


_MG_5259
If you want you can add some cooking wine and even sugar. Sometimes I add it, sometimes I don't....it's all dependent on my mood that day.


_MG_5260
Take the sauce mixture and marinade the chicken pieces.


_MG_5264
While the chicken is marinading, get your vegetables ready. The most important thing is potatoes, and from there you can add whatever you have in your fridge. If you don't have any other veggies, don't worry and just make chicken and potatoes. I happened to have onions, mushrooms, carrots, chiles, and green onions today...


_MG_5265
When you're ready to cook, first throw the chicken onto a skillet and flip it over and over on medium heat.


_MG_5266
When the chicken looks like it's almost done, add the potatoes and mix it around really well.


_MG_5267
While the chicken and potatoes are cooking, ready the rest of your veggies.


_MG_5269 _MG_5270
Once the potatoes look like they're almost done.......add all your other veggies.


_MG_5275
Let it cook for a while on LOW HEAT with the cover on (up to 45 minutes). Low heat is important because otherwise all the juices dry up and you're left dry. When it's done, sprinkle some green onions and mix it around.


_MG_5279 
Serve over white rice and you're done! Munchkin LOVES this and will eat it even with the 3 tb of red pepper powder. You can always just wash it off for the young ones if you have to.

6 comments:

  1. My first cooking fiasco. I ended up adding 2.5 cups soy to 1 cup water! I was wondering why it was soooo jjah! But I already made this 3X correctly and everyone enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you dont use gochujang at all for this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @shuekim320 - I personally do not, but I know traditionally that many people do. You can put in 1-2TB if you want, but I like the taste without it just fine. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a college student and I normally don't get to eat this stuff until I go home to see my mom. Tried this the other day and it tastes just like hers!! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bought a bag of potatoes that had a humongous one in it and this gave me the perfect excuse to try this recipe. It was good, not my fave but a nice meal none the less. I have to say with everything that I've tried on this blog so far, the Spicy Chicken Drummettes are the best. [thumbs up]

    ReplyDelete
  6. did you use about 1lb chicken?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share