Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Kimchi Jjigae - Version 2.0 - (김치 찌개)

Total Cooking Time: 1 hour

I didn't really want to think of dinner last night, so I resorted to kimchi jjigae again. This time I made it with pork galbi and thought I would post it up. Next time I'm going to make it with canned mackerel. =P



In a separate pot, place your pork galbi (pork ribs basically) into just enough water to cover it and add 1 TB of soy bean paste. Bring this to a boil and let it boil for about 20 minutes.



Meanwhile, prepare your jjigae. Add 1 TB sesame oil and 1 TB minced garlic to your pot.



Throw in some chopped onions and 1 TB of red pepper paste.



Put in some kimchi (about 2 cups) and add about 6 TB of kimchi juice. Stir-fry this for about 5 minutes or so and then add about 3 cups of water.



Bring the jjigae to a boil.



Clean your pork under cold water.....



Add it to the jjigae and let it boil for about 30 minutes. If you boil it long enough, the meat will tenderize and will fall right off the bones when you're eating it.



You can add some jalapenos and sliced garlic (I happened to have some leftover in the fridge).


0
Some mushrooms and tofu...



And then finish it off with some green onions. All done!



I also made the leftover boolgogi meat I had in the fridge. I pan-fried it with some of the cabbage, onions, and green onions that I had already chopped up for the pancit.

4 comments:

  1. All previous times I've made kimchi "jjigae" it always turned out more like kimchi gook. :/ Tried your recipe tonight, and it worked so much better! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog, love your recipes. Especially this one! Make it almost every week.
    I've already tried out loads of your recipes, some still waiting to be tested. Love every single one!
    So, girl, your blog is being read by a Slovenian foodie as well. Luckily, I'm now living abroad and have access to all wonderful Korean ingredients in my local K-mart. Addicted to kimchi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So useful, thanks for sharing. I've tried your ver 1 of kimchi jigae recipe and it's even more delicious than ordinary kimchijigae I ate at restaurant~

    I want to ask too, can I add the pork stock, which is boiled together with doenjang to kimchi jigae?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share