Friday, June 25, 2010

Mook Moochim – 묵무침

EDIT:  A reader informed me that I forgot to mention that I used red pepper powder.  Oops.  Yes, I did use red pepper powder and apparently forgot to write it down.  Sorry!  Recipe has been updated.

There are many ways to eat mook.  You can eat it straight, you can eat it with just sauce, you can eat mook bap, or you can make mook moochim!  I had a lot of fresh vegetables in my fridge and decided to pull them all out!  (I’m going to use the leftover vegetables for some gochu-jang samgyupsal bibimbap later this week!  Stay tuned!!!) 

Ingredients Needed:

  • 1/4 CUP each of chopped perilla leaves, romaine lettuce, minari leaves, daikon sprouts, onions, carrots, cucumber and whatever else you have and/or like!
  • sauce mixture: 2 TB red pepper powder, 3 TB gook ganjang, 1.5 TB soy sauce, 1 TB minced garlic, 1 TB sesame oil, 2 TB sesame seeds, 3 TB chopped green onions, 2 TB rice wine, and half tablespoon of vinegar

 

IMG_5229IMG_5231

IMG_5232IMG_5234 
Clockwise from top left: minari leaves, romaine lettuce, daikon sprouts and perilla leaves. 



IMG_5237 
Thoroughly wash and drain about 1/4 CUP each of the veggies above.



IMG_5238   
Meanwhile, slice some cucumbers and onions (about 1/4 CUP each) and throw it into a bowl.



IMG_5241   
I didn’t have regular carrots, so I took some baby carrots and sliced those up as well.  Then start chopping up all the veggies from above and make a salad!



IMG_5240    
Make the sauce mixture:  2 TB red pepper powder, 3 TB gook ganjang, 1.5 TB soy sauce, 1 TB minced garlic, 1 TB sesame oil, 2 TB sesame seeds, 3 TB chopped green onions, 2 TB rice wine, and 1/2 TB vinegar.  I did NOT use all this sauce and actually have more than half of it left over.  I’m going to use the rest to just eat the mook with or to add to the mook bap.  You can store it for a few days, so no worries!



IMG_5272IMG_5273 
After about 5 hours or so in the fridge, the mook is ready to eaten.  Just plop it out like so and cut away.  I only used about half of this because I was serving it as a side dish.



IMG_5276
Slice up your mook into bite-size pieces…

 

IMG_5277  
and add sauce to YOUR taste.  Note:  I made the mistake of trying to mix up everything together.  The mook is much too fragile to mix around, so I advise you to first mix the salad with the sauce thoroughly and then add the mook and just lightly give it a flip.

 

IMG_5284
You’re now ready to serve!  Enjoy~~  Will be back with a mook bap recipe later this week as well.  Toodles!

13 comments:

  1. yummy! :) Wait, did i miss the recipe for the mook? what goes in the mold mixture? TIA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, my vegan daughters will love this. You make cooking for them so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm not a big fan of mook but my FIL is going to love this. i'm going to make it for him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love mook. Your pictures are making me want to eat my IPAD! ( where I am currently viewing your photos)

    My mother also made a great mook dish with a soy sauce based sauce and some dried seaweed crumbled on top....so yum!!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yummy! love this post and love love ur cooking blog! glad to see you back in action :) have a sweet july 4th!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! I'm adding your blog to my blog roll..hope that's okay. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. soooo glad to have found your blog! i like your comment about how many of the korean recipes you found online did not taste like what you ate growing up. me too!!! can't wait to try out your recipes. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Post... i will try today

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad I found your blog! Your recipes and pictures are awesome! You have a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure, but I think you forgot to mention that you added red pepper powder (gochu garu)?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're totally right! I just noticed that right now. I'll have to fix it immediately. I used about 1.5-2 TB of red pepper powder. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am excited to make this, but I am still not sure how to make the mook part. Is there another page maybe that explains how to make it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hii..i just visiting your site
    Very nice blog and recipes..you have a new follwer

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share