Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Shik-Hae – Sweet Rice Drink (dessert!) - 식혜

After reading one of my recent comments about shik-hae, I immediately started craving it.  I have a thing with food.  If I want to eat something.  *I MUST*  or I become one cranky lil old woman.  =P

Ingredients Needed:

  • 1.5 CUP cooked rice (1/2 sweet rice, 1/2 short grain white rice)
  • 3/4 CUP yut gee-leum (fine malt powder), 1 gallon water
  • 1/3 CUP sugar (add as much as you want to your taste!  I don’t like things *too* sweet)


IMG_4574    
I took a picture of the malt powder so you know what to look for.



IMG_4579   
Put 3/4 cups into the big bowl…



IMG_4582   
…and cover it with about a gallon of water.  Mix it GENTLY just using your fingers to break apart the clumps.  There’s no need to use a whisk or anything like that.



IMG_4635   
Add some rice into a rice cooker.  If you don’t have a rice cooker, I *think* you can use a crock pot at the lowest setting.  I’ve never tried, but I’m thinking it’s the same concept.  I had this rice leftover so I just used that, but you can use a 50/50 combination of sweet rice and white rice as well.  This is just a regular Korean bowl-full of rice.



IMG_4638   
Let the malt powder/water mixture sit out for about two hours and then CAREFULLY (I used a strainer, but forgot to take a picture) pour out the TOP part.  Basically, just try and pour out the clear liquid at top…



IMG_4640    
And leave the thick malt at the bottom.

 

IMG_4639   
Add the malt water to the rice…

 

IMG_4641    
And break apart all the rice pieces and make it nice and smooth.

 

IMG_4643    
Then close the lid and hit “KEEP WARM!”  Make sure not to COOK the rice.  You just want the temp to be “warm” for FIVE HOURS!  Yup, just press “KEEP WARM” and go and run some errands.

 

IMG_4645    
After you get back, open the lid and you should see little rice particles floating around.

 

IMG_4646   
Transfer the rice water mixture into a POT and bring it to a STRONG boil.  At this point I added about 2 CUPS of water and 1/3 CUP of sugar.

 

IMG_4653    
Skim off any of the gunk that arises.  Then transfer everything into a storage container and let it chill overnight in the fridge.

 

IMG_4667   
The next morning, you are ready to serve!  Enjoy~~  I will be back later with the *egg roll* update.  I went out and bought a Egg Pan!

6 comments:

  1. hi i am an indian currently living in the uk. i have just discovered korean food and i just love it...so i think i am going to be a frequent visitor to your blog :)

    you have a lovely blog...

    cheers,

    suchi

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did you learn how to make these? i mean is it instinctual or did you learn from your mom? Man, I try sooo HARD to cook, especially korean food, but it turns out soo BAD. My rice is always undercooked and eventhough I follow your recipe somehow i always screww something up. Ahhh well. I enjoy reading your blog and droolong and at times I
    ll attempt a recipe. Love your blog! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, this is how you do with the 'powder'-kind of 엿기름. From my grandma, I've learned to make 'shik-hae' using the malt sprout, so I never figured out the way using the powder. I had to throw the whole thing away. :-(

    You can also add a cup or two of fresh ginger-boiled water when you are boiling the whole thing. It adds some spicy undertaste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on the malt sprout, but I learned from my mom. Can anyone describe the differences in taste or texture between malt sprout/pot, malt sprout/rice cooker and malt powder/pot/rice cooker?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, this is my fave treat whenever I go for a spa day with my hubby. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very interesting recipe :) In the Philippines, we have "am" which is the liquid from rice that's in the process of being cooked (you extract it as the rice cooks). And its fed to babies :)
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share