Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chicken with Potatoes – DakDoriTang - (닭도리탕)

I’m about to have a heart attack watching this Lakers game.  I know true sports fanatics will say THIS is the way to play and that the excitement is what makes it real sports, but honestly I wish it could be a simple repeat of Game 6! 

Anyhow, I’m sure I’ve mentioned before that there are various ways to make the same dish.  There’s no right way and no wrong way.  Whatever tastes best to you, is the RIGHT way! 

While in Korea, I had the opportunity to visit one of my favorite eemos.  I dub her the eemo “who makes the *best* dakdoritang!”  I didn’t have the opportunity to actually WATCH her make it, but I did question her extensively on her method and made her tell me how she makes her dakdoritang taste so darn good.  I actually remembered her dakdoritang from the last time I ate it over eight years ago and when she asked me, “What do you want to eat?”  I replied without hesitation, “Your dakdoritang!!!”

Here’s what she told me…and no, she didn’t give me any *real* measurements.  =)

Note: my eemo also uses beef dashida, but I omitted that part!

Ingredients Needed:

  • 1 Cornish Game Hen
  • potatoes - (2 large ones, or a cup of baby potatoes)
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1/2 carrot
  • 2 small red peppers
  • handful of garlic cloves
  • sauce mixture: 1 TB minced garlic, 3 TB soy sauce, 8 TB water, 2 TB red pepper powder, 2 TB red pepper paste, 1 TB sesame oil, 2 TB rice wine, 1.5 TB honey (real honey!), 1/2 TB onion powder (optional)
  • 2 TB ketchup


IMG_4850 
My eemo actually uses a whole chicken, but we’re a small family of three, so I know there’s no way we could eat all that chicken!  =P  Plus, I live with a man that doesn’t like chicken. 


IMG_4852 
First make sure your chicken is defrosted!  I leave mine in the fridge overnight and that usually does the trick.  If you have a really good pair of kitchen shears, you can cut this NOW or you can cut it after you boil it to make it easier.  I like cutting it up before boiling because I feel that this makes the chicken cook more evenly.

 

IMG_4854IMG_4855
While you’re waiting for the water to boil, prep your veggies.  I chose to use 1/2 onion, 1/2 carrot, a handful of garlic cloves, 2 small red peppers and some baby potatoes I found lurking in the bottom drawer of the fridge.  Did I mention I haven’t been to the grocery store in a while?  =P


IMG_4858IMG_4862
Once the water is boiling, dump your chicken in there and let it boil for a good 10-15 minutes.


IMG_4863 
While the chicken is boiling, make your sauce mixture: 1 TB minced garlic, 3 TB soy sauce, 8 TB water, 2 TB red pepper powder, 2 TB red pepper paste, 1 TB sesame oil, 2 TB rice wine, 1.5 TB honey (real honey!), 1/2 TB onion powder (optional)


IMG_4864  
After about 15 minutes wash your chicken under cool water.  Make sure to clean off all the gunk.


IMG_4867  
Transfer it to a clean bowl…


IMG_4868
…and dump in the sauce mixture.  Use a large spoon (or a gloved hand like me) and just make sure to thoroughly coat the chicken.


IMG_4869
Then dump the chicken into a pot and turn up the heat!  I suppose you can mix the chicken in the pot and save yourself a clean bowl.  =P  I was too busy trying to get this finished in time to watch the Lakers game that I wasn’t really thinking.


IMG_4870 
Anyhow, after the chicken starts boiling, turn DOWN the heat and throw in the carrots and potatoes.  You want the heat to be fairly LOW.  Just simmering.  And remember to mix, mix, mix!

 

IMG_4879 
After about 10 minutes, add the rest of the veggies and let it simmer for about another 5-10 minutes.

 

IMG_4882 
Make sure you come back and stir it around and up and down and mix everything up nice like so!


IMG_4885  
And when you’re almost done cooking (after about 20 minutes of simmering) – add 2 TB of KETCHUP!  Yup.  My eemo’s secret ingredient.  =P


IMG_4887 
Make sure to thoroughly mix it around yet again…


IMG_4895
And you’re ready to serve!  Enjoy!!!  (Yes, I realize this is NOT the prettiest picture!)  Oh wells.  =/

15 comments:

  1. that looks fantastic! I'll have to make it this weekend -- how much beef dashida does your aunt use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your other dakdoritang recipe on this site and have made it numerous times, but this one looks delicious too! i have heard of people using ketchup in dukbokki as well, but have never tried it. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say that I am so glad I found your blog. I need to learn how to make AUTHENTIC Korean food :P Everything you make looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the best dakdoritang I have ever tasted! Who knew ketchup and honey would make such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. been looking for a good dakdoritang recipe. will def. try this

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, it seems delicious, yummmm...thank you for sharing how to make it..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this amazing recipe. Looks soooooooox100000 good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i made this for dinner tonight. it was yummy! will definitely be making it again. next time, i'll use drumsticks and thighs bc the cornish hen wasn't enough meat for our whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 맛있는 음식은!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 맛있는 음식은!

    ReplyDelete
  11. DELICIOUS!!!! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this last night and the boys loved it! I actually didn't realized that you have 2 dak doritang recipes in this blog... so i ended up combining the 2 recipes together.. and it was brilliant! thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, I just made this last night at church for our Bible study. All the ajimas at church loved the broth and said it was the best dakdoritang broth they've ever tasted. Thanks a lot I love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. really love all your recipes. thanks so much for posting!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share