Thursday, July 24, 2008

Dong Geun-ran Ddengs - Beef Cakes - (동그랑땡)

I also made Korean style beef patties tonight.

Ingredients Needed:
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • ½ cup chopped onions
  • ½ cup chopped carrots
  • ½ cup chopped squash
  • ½ cup chopped chives
  • 3 eggs
  • Korean pancake mix (or just plain old flour)
  • 1 TB minced garlic, 1 TB sesame oil, 1 TB gook ganjang, ¾ TB salt, ¼ TB pepper, ¼ TB ginger powder

 


_MG_6984 _MG_6986
First get your beef and vegetables ready. Don't feel limited to using these EXACT vegetables...use what you have! I've used mushrooms, green onions, and a lot of other stuff too before and it tastes fine.


_MG_6988
I used a mandolin to shred my vegetables, then I just took a knife to roughly cut it up into small bits. It makes the job a lot easier if you have a mandolin on hand.


_MG_6989
After the vegetables are chopped and ready season it with 1 TB minced garlic, 1 TB sesame oil, 1 TB gook ganjang, ¾ TB salt, ¼ TB pepper, ¼ TB ginger powder and mix it up well using your hands.


_MG_6990
Add about 1 pound of beef and mix it well again using your hands.


_MG_6992 _MG_7016
Get some flour or Korean pancake mix ready in a large bowl and scoop up 1 TB of the meat mixture at a time and using your hands try to form them into small, flat little patties.


_MG_7007
Coat them thoroughly in the pancake mix and set aside. I actually had to do this in two separate batches because I ended up with a lot of beef cakes. And YES, this gets very messy...which is why I only make these a few times a year.


_MG_7008
In another bowl, crack 3 whole eggs and mix it up really well. Dip each piece of coated beef cake into the egg mixture and then fry it on a frying pan. I found that using a spoon makes transferring the beef cakes a lot easier without breaking them apart.


_MG_7010
Make sure you use enough oil to cover the whole pan and then some. Let the beef cake fry on each side for at least 2 minutes. Each time you do another batch, clean off the frying pan with a wet paper towel and start off with fresh oil.


_MG_7011
Transfer however much you want to serve over to a plate...


_MG_7014
...and then I like to squeeze ketchup on top of each one.


_MG_7015
It's all done and ready to be enjoyed! I stored the rest of the beef cakes into a storage container. I'm going to freeze some of them and then defrost them in the upcoming weeks to use as Munchkin's lunch. =)

11 comments:

  1. i'm making this for the hubs tomorrow night! gotta make a run to our (tiny) korean market to get the boochim garu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those look sooo delicious right now (right before lunch time)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl_interrupted118July 25, 2008 at 10:17 AM

    My hubby loves these!! I'm gonna make it tonight! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. woo, i've never tried using boo-chim ga-ru! i always used just flour.
    i'll have to try it...i'm sure it makes it more crispy.

    did i tell you how much i love and APPRECIATE your receipe site?
    i come here all the time when i'm running out of ideas on what to make for dinner. i never cooked a lot of traditional korean foods so this is a great site for me.
    i've already tried a few of your receipes too.
    THANKS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay - I just laughed out loud - ahem... my dongrangddengs? Comes frozen from a bag. And LN does not like them very much... I wonder if she'd like freshly made ones better. Any left over? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never used boo choo before. maybe i will try it. looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. @-christine. this was my first time using boo-choo too. I did it because I had some leftover from the moo-cheh below. normally i always made it with green onions, but it actually came out pretty good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Btw, you might want to consider investing in a food processor. I have a cuisinart mini prep plus and it's awesome. Mandolines scare me. The mini prep makes life so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @pinkthumb - is it weird that i'm too lazy to get out my food processor? i hate washing that monstrosity. =P

    ReplyDelete
  10. i got around to making this tonight and it came out sooo yummy!! it was a hit! i used ground turkey instead and added zucchini, carrots, onion, crimini and scallions. So easy!! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails