Saturday, May 2, 2009

Dwenjang Jjigae - Soy Bean Soup - Version 2.0 - (된장 찌개)

Cooking is such an interesting thing. Trying to cook in someone else's kitchen is quite a challenge. Trying to find Korean ingredients in a small town proved to be even a greater challenge. I didn't want to buy EVERYTHING, so I only bought the bare minimum ingredients and have been improvising in the kitchen.

Today I made dwenjang jjigae with a beef broth instead of my usual fish broth. You can go and see Version 1.0 here.

Things needed:
  • Veggies: Onions, squash, mushrooms, pepper, potato
  • Dwenjang
  • Tofu
  • 1/4 cup of beef
  • small piece of daikon radish (moo)
  • 1/2 TB of minced garlic
  • 1/2 TB of sesame oil


IMG_4056 IMG_4050
I first started by chopping my veggies and draining a bit of beef.


IMG_4057
I then added 1/2 TB of sesame oil and 1/2 TB of minced garlic to a pot.


IMG_4062
Saute the beef until cooked...


IMG_4063
Then add 4 cups of water and a small piece of moo to make the broth. Bring it to a boil.


IMG_4060 IMG_4065
Then add 3TB of dwenjang and bring to a boil again.


IMG_4066
Then add your squash, potatoes, and onions...


IMG_4068
Throw in your mushrooms and tofu...


IMG_4069
Throw in a pepper if you have one on hand.


IMG_4070
I didn't have gochugarui, so instead I just added a dash of cayenne pepper. =P


IMG_4071
Top it off with some green onions and let everything boil until the potatoes are done. Enjoy!!!


IMG_4049
I'm currently making gom tang. I'll show you how to make some yummy moo gook with the broth tomorrow! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share