Monday, October 6, 2008

Kong Jaban - Black Beans in Soy Sauce and Sugar - (콩자반)

Each week I TRY and make at least two new banchans (side dishes). This week I decided to use up the remaining black beans I had in the cupboard.

Ingredients Needed:

  • 1 cup black beans (I ended up with slightly more than a cup)
  • 3 cups water
  • 6 TB soy sauce
  • 5 TB sugar
  • 1 TB brown sugar
  • 2 TB honey powder
  • 1 TB corn starch
  • splash of sesame oil
  • 2 TB sesame seeds


_MG_9532
First go and get some black beans. I had this sitting in my cupboard and decided I wanted to use up the whole bag. I'm actually on a mission this week to clear out my freezer and pantry. I'm making meals up as I go because I don't want all the food in my freezer to go to waste.


_MG_9534
I used what I had left in my bag and it ended up being almost 2 cups of beans.


_MG_9536
Let it soak in water for about 4-5 hours and the beans will expand and double in size.


_MG_9536
Then throw out the water it was in and give the beans a good rinse. Add 3 CUPS water and put the beans into a pot and turn up the heat on high.


_MG_9542 _MG_9543
While it's cooking and ready to boil add: 6 TB soy sauce, 5 TB sugar, 1 TB brown sugar, 2 TB honey powder and let it boil on medium heat for about 30 minutes.


_MG_9544 _MG_9548
Eventually all the liquid will reduce down quite a bit. At this point add 2 TB of cornstarch and keep boiling it on low heat. Keep an eye on it and make sure you don't burn it!


_MG_9546
When there is barely any liquid left, you're ready to throw in 2 TB of sesame seeds. Mix it around thoroughly and then turn off the heat and let it cool down.


_MG_9549
You're ready to serve! You can store it in the fridge for up to two weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Just found your blog- yum yum! I am an American living in Korea and methinks I must go and get some K food NOW! I am going to try some of your recipes! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog- yum yum! I am an American living in Korea and methinks I must go and get some K food NOW! I am going to try some of your recipes! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thx for your recipe, my mum in the uk makes it and i wanted to make it for my kids and husband too but couldn´t reach my mum, so your recipe came in very helpful.
    thx again
    mandy
    spain
    10/11/2008

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share