Friday, June 20, 2008

Chicken Kalgooksoo - (닭칼국수)

My mom's favorite childhood comfort food is chicken kal gooksoo. She always talks about how my grandmother used to make the noodles and broth all by hand from start to finish. Well, we're NOT going to be doing that here today.  I will make noodles in the future, but today will be an instant day.  =P

Ingredients needed:

  • Kalgooksoo Noodles
  • Cornish Game Hen
  • Broth: 5 dae chus (jujubes), 10 cloves of garlic, 2 sprigs of ginger, and some large green onion
  • Sauce: 1/4 CUPsoy sauce, 1/4CUP gook ganjang, 2TB sesame oil, 2TB red pepper powder, 1TB minced garlic, 2 sprigs of green onions, and 1 sprig of large green onion
  • Vegetables – 1/2 squash, 1/2 onion, 1 small potato

STEP ONE: MAKING THE BROTH

              
_MG_5067 
This particular brand of kalgooksoo was recalled in July of 2009 so be sure to double check on it before buying.  I’ve since found another brand to buy.



m149644435
You can basically use any type of chicken meat that has bones in it. Today, I decided to defrost a Cornish game hen I had sitting in the freezer.


_MG_5060
Make sure to wash the chicken thoroughly and transfer it back into the clean pot.


_MG_5062
I like using a pasta pot because it makes it easier later. You can use a regular pot, if you don't have a pasta pot. Doesn't really matter.


_MG_5064
While the chicken in boiling, I prepare the vegetables. I use one whole onion, 5 dae chus, 10 cloves of garlic, 2 sprigs of ginger, and some large green onion.


_MG_5066
Wash and cut the veggies like this....


_MG_5076
When the chicken starts to boil and you see all this stuff~~~


_MG_5077
Remove it from the heat, throw away all the water and give the whole pot a good wash down. Give the chicken a little bath while you're at it too.


_MG_5081
After everything is all nice and clean, add the chicken and the vegetables back into the pot and add enough water to cover the chicken.


_MG_5087
Bring to a boil, and then cook on medium heat for about 2.5 hours. While boiling, you're going to need to keep an eye on the broth and skim off all the excess fat that rises to the top.


_MG_5089
After about 1.5 hours, I take OUT some of the vegetables before they get too soggy and start falling apart in the broth.


_MG_5090
Reduce the broth to about half and add more water if you feel like you need to.


_MG_5091
I think I cooked the chicken for close to 3 hours before I finally pulled it out.


_MG_5092
Look at how milky the broth is. Yummy~ You can also just cook sam gye tang and use leftover broth from that. There's not really much difference. I've made sam gye tang, then kalgooksoo, then dakjook using the same broth. Whenever I do that the MR jokes that he's 'chickened out for the next month'~


_MG_5094
Then I let it cool and take apart the chicken and put it aside. I saved the bigger bones and placed it inside a teabag.


_MG_5095
At this point I transferred the broth to an easy pour pot and threw the teabag full of bones back in there and added more water.


_MG_5098
I let only the bones cook in there for about another hour and at this point I add some salt. You don't need to add too much salt because the kalgooksoo sauce is salty as it is. The broth is now done. This is actually tomorrow's breakfast, so at this point I just stored the chicken in the fridge.

Part II - Assembling the kalgooksoo...will be TOMORROW.


STEP TWO – SEASONING SAUCE


_MG_5069
For my kalgooksoo sauce, I use equal parts soy sauce and gook ganjang with a splash of sesame oil.


_MG_5070
I just mix everything inside a storage container so that I can pop it into my fridge until I need it.


_MG_5071
Then I add a generous amount of red pepper powder (1-2 spoonfuls), about a spoonful of minced garlic, green onions, and large green onions.


_MG_5072
Throw in some sesame seeds.


_MG_5073
Mix it around really well and you're done. You can store it inside the refregerator until you're ready for it the next day.


STEP THREE:  ASSMBLING THE KALGOOKSOO


_MG_5104
You can pretty much add whatever vegetables you want. I like to use onions, squash, and potatoes.


_MG_5108
After cutting up the veggies, I add the chicken broth to a pan and throw in the potatoes and onions. The potatoes take a while to cook, so keep stirring away.


_MG_5111
In another pot, I cook the gooksoo. You know that kalgooksoo is done when it boils over. Once it boils over, give it a taste test~ it should be done.


_MG_5109
After the potatoes are ripe, I add the chicken from the night before.


_MG_5112
Then I finally add squash and season it with a dash of salt and pepper.


_MG_5116
Place the noodles into a bowl, put the chicken/veggie mixture on top and pour the heated broth on over everything. 


m149770488 
Do a taste test and then add some kalgooksoo sauce.  Enjoy!  Everyone in our family loves this and it’s all gone within the day.  You can use any leftover broth to make some dak jook.

11 comments:

  1. i made this few days ago and it was hit with everyone in my family! took awhile to make but was well worth it. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^yay! I'm glad you guys liked it. You can use any leftover broth to make dak jook. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for this recipe!
    i tried it tonight and my daughter loooved it.
    it was sooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how do u make sam gye tang?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @sooshi - it's really easy, just get a game hen, boil it throw out the water...and then stuff the chicken with chapsal, chestnuts, whole garlic cloves and some daechu. Add some ginseng, dae chu, pa, and whole garlic cloves to the pot of water and just boil it. It's SOOO easy. I'll post it up one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, I am from Switzerland, I bought some frozen Korean noodle from Zurich, hope they will be as good or close to the quality to have. Is yours a bit chewy as that's what I am looking for. The Korean dried noodles I have also got them but they are not so chewy.

    It's nice to find your blog. Recently I am making Korean food quite frequently probably due to the Korean old TV series I watched.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You write very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummy. can you create a book of all your recipes and photos? i would definitely buy one! (hard to keep referring to the computer while i cook)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I have been trying to find a recipe for this sauce. Thank you so much. My partner will also be very happy. He has gone Korean Cooking mad lately.

    I am Australian, and also keen on trying Kangaroo instead of beef in some recipes. I will keep an eye on your blog for some tasty ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe is EXCELLENT for curbing colds, if taken at the onset of cold symptoms! I make this all the time for my friends and myself. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey again! I have decided that you need to write a cookbook.

    Cooking this tonight from my book (supposed to be authentic) and your recipe looks much better. I also like that you translate words, but still use them rather than just saying - Chicken Noodle Soup (like my book). You also use ingridients available to westerners! DO IT!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share