Saturday, June 21, 2008

Kimchi Gooksoo - (김치 비빔 국수)

I made yulmoo bibim gooksoo today. You can pretty much make this however you want with whatever kimchi you have on hand. I just happened to have yulmoo kimchi in the fridge that needed to be used up.



First make the cho gochujang sauce. You can even buy ready made sauce. I used 6 tb gochujang, 2.5 tb vinegar, 1.5 tb sugar and then I threw in some sesame seeds to give it texture. Set this aside and prepare the garnishments.



Pickles are great. I like to half-peel it to give it some color. I use a mandolin to shred it like hash browns. If you don't have a mandolin, you can do it by hand.



I cut up the yulmoo kimchi that I had into really small bits, then I DRAINED all the excess juices out and threw it away.



I use these kind of Somen noodles.



Bring a pot of water to a boil and throw in the noodles. It only takes about 3 minutes to cook so keep an eye on it. When it starts to boil over like this, reduce the heat and test the noodles to see if it's done.



When the noodles are done cooking (I used 3 bunches) rinse it in cold water and drain it.



Transfer the noodles into a mixing bowl and add the cho gochujang paste made earlier. I used about 6 tb of it and mixed it well with the noodles.



Then add the drained kimchi (you can use regular kimchi) and mix it around. After this, transfer it to a bowl and add the toppings.



Normally I add, pickles, gim, and thinly sliced fried egg. But today I didn't have egg, so I substituted with perilla leaves.

7 comments:

  1. that looks sooooooooo good! more gooksoo recipes please!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh i've never seen this one before. i've already made 3 recipes of yours this week and they were all SO good!!! i'm gonna make this too. yum!! thank you again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. im definitely gonna make this one soon & ur pineapple kalbi! but is perilla leaves = kketnip?

    ReplyDelete
  4. do u have a japchae recipe? ooh & im still waiting for ur korean style potato salad =P i love how u take pics of each step & ingredients~ sooooo helpful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi B~
    I made this tonight & it was really good but super spicy~ so i was wondering if some gochujangs are hotter or milder than others? i followed ur measurements exactly...can i ask what kind of gochujang u use? the brand or kind i have might be for making kimchi or something...=/ also, can i use the jjol-myun sauce for this too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @sooshi - hey girl. hmmm. i wonder why it was so spicy? next time try adding some 7-up (maybe 2 TB's) to dilute it a little. But yes, some gochujang brands are more spicier than others. I use the one by Haitai. Haitai Chal gochujang? Go look under Korean Cooking 101 and I have a run down of ingredients. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think i will also reduce the amount of gochujang next time then~ since my hubby & i both liked the taste of the sauce~! thnx B =) im making ur beef broccoli tonight~

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share