Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Pickled Jalapenos

We ate shabu shabu AGAIN for dinner tonight because it was just SO good yesterday. We had all the left over veggies and one more meat package so dinner tonight was a cinch. Munchkin ate SOOOOO much. Whew! Anyhow, after such a breezy dinner I decided to make a couple of banchans for the week. I've been meaning to make this for a while, but I never had a pickling jar, so I kept putting it off.



The other day the MR and I were at Ikea together and I found these pickling jars for such a great price that I picked up TWO.



This is a simple recipe that my coworker taught me some time ago. Unnie used to bring this into the office so we could all enjoy. I used 3pickles, 5 jalapenos, 8 whole cloves of garlic, 3 celery pieces, and 1 small onion.



Just wash and cut everything into bite size pieces (not TOO thin though) and distribute them somewhat evenly in the pickling jar.



In a pot mix together the following: 2 cups water, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup vinegar, and 3 tb sugar. Bring it to a boil and then turn off the heat and let it cool down.




After your jar is full and the mixture is cooled down.......



Just pour it in and let it sit for a couple of days. You can leave it outside, but with the HOT weather these days, I chose to keep it inside the fridge. It might take longer to ferment, but that's ok for me. I'm not sure exactly how it will taste yet, so don't try this yet! I'm going to do a taste test tomorrow and update this recipe if I find it tastes funny.

4 comments:

  1. omg this is wat my mom makes & i love~! im gonna have to make this one & the other version for chadolbegi sauce too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to tell you this is exactly what my mom used to make for me!! I tried it this morning and couldn't wait until tomorrow to taste it and tasted just the juice part and it is EXACTLY what my mom used to make!! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had a question. i went to a friends house and had something like this. except it was only peppers. and they were whole pickled in soy sauce. i think they might have been shishito peppers... not really sure what they were, anyways it was really good and ive been trying to find a recipe for that. dont know if you can help but thanks in advance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i *love* this recipe. its soo good especially when south texas heat brings an abundance of peppers. the only problem is i can't keep everyone from eating them before they're completely fermented. bought two pounds of jalapenos just for this recipe for i'm hoping this time they'll last!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share