Sunday, June 22, 2008

Galbi Tang - (갈비탕)

Start off by draining the blood from some galbi meat. Just wash some galbi and put into a pot of cold water. Change the pot every 15 minutes or so for about 45 minutes. Normal galbi tang uses the large beef short ribs used for galbi jim, but I just used galbi that I had left aside from marinading earlier today.

Total Cook Time: 3 hours



I love these little tea bags they sell at the Japanese market.



I filled it with 4 whole garlic cloves, a handful of large green onions, and about 15-20 whole peppercorns. If you don't have a teabag, just put everything directly in and sift it out later.



Then I peeled and cleaned a piece of moo.



I put the drained ribs into a pot of water and let it cook for about 5 minutes to get all the guck out.



When you see all this stuff rise to the top, remove it from the heat.



Wash each piece of meat thoroughly and give the pot a nice scrub down also.



Fill the pot with about 12 cups of water and bring to a boil.



Add the moo, the teabag, and the galbi pieces. Let it boil for about an hour.



After an hour, open the lid and remove the teabag and the moo.



Let the beef cook for ANOTHER hour. (2 hours of cooking so far...)



Let the moo cool, and then slice it up into edible pieces.



Marinade the moo with the following........



3 tb of gook ganjang, 1 tsp of sesame oil, 1/2 tb of minced garlic, a dash of pepper, and 1 tb of green onions.



After the meat has boiled for another hour, add the moo. Do a taste taste and adjust flavoring with gook ganjang.



Garnish with some eggs and large green onions and you're done! For some reason the flavor seemed to be lacking SOMETHING today. I'm not sure what it was, so I'm going to do a couple of web searches and see what I might have missed. I'll update this recipe the next time I make it!

11 comments:

  1. I love those japanese tea bags too! Your blog is awesome~you're such a great cook. Looking forward to more yummy recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how much galbi should be put in for this recipe? sorry im a really bad eyeballer keke^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. @sooshi- I think I used 3 pieces of galbi (so 9 bones).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're probably thinking of the MSG. That's what a lot of restaurants use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when i go to restaurants, they always have noodles in them. how come you didn't put any noodles in?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great site, great recipe. I just made this with a slightly different cut of meat. Turned out great! I'm linking you on our site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this using large cut beef short ribs (12 ribs) with 6-7 cups water. I added 1 tbsp fishsauce and didn't season the radish. I seasoned soup w/ salt, pepper, and sugar. Anyway, turn out great! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious!! I haven't tried making it yet, but as far as something supposedly "missing"- do you think maybe the teabag of seasonings could have been left in for a stronger flavor? I'm definitely no cook, I just wondered about that. ^^
    Can't wait to try, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Moo is Korean radish. It's a light green and white color outside and you peel it to get the white flesh as shown in the picture. Its not strong tasting. Moo is about 7 inches long and 2.5 inches across :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you look at the Moo, it is like a large carrot.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share