Saturday, June 21, 2008

Galchi Jorim - Steamed Hairtail - (갈치조림)

Growing up, my mom used to always make this for us. To be honest, I don't think I've had it since I lived with my mom many, many years ago. While I was spending the day at her house today, all of a sudden I had a craving for this........so I asked her how to make it. Then I headed off to the K-market to buy the ingredients and attempt it at home for the first time.


_MG_5308
You need moo, galchi (hairtail fish), and green onions.


_MG_5310
Mix a 1:1 ratio of soy sauce and water. I added a little bit more water because I thought it was a bit too salty, so adjust according to your taste.


_MG_5311
Then I added about a 3/4 tb of red pepper powder, 3/4 tb of minced garlic, a splash of sesame oil, and two fistfuls of green onions. The marinade looked a little boring, so I went ahead and added some diced onions.


_MG_5314
Take your moo and cut it up like this.


_MG_5315
I don't use measuring utensils except this spoon, so even though everything is an approximation, it shouldn't matter because you can just adjust everything according to your own taste. If you like it more spicy, add more pepper! If you like it more salty, add more soy sauce!


_MG_5320
Coat the moo thoroughly in the sauce mixture and place at the bottom of a pot. The moo will act as a steamer for the fish.


_MG_5321
Wash the galchi and then coat it in the sauce also and place it strategically on top of the moos, so that it's not touching the bottom of the pan. Pour the rest of the mixture over the galchi and into the pot. Cover it up and cook on high until it starts boiling. Immediately lower the heat and cook on medium-low heat for about 20-25 minutes.


_MG_5322
After cooking undisturbed for about 10 minutes, open the cover and use a ladle to scoop up some of the sauce and pour it over the galchi. I did this about 5-7 times (close the lid again each time) for the remaining 10-15 minutes of cook time.


_MG_5324
Plate the fish and moo, pour some sauce on top and serve. Eating this tonight totally took me back to my childhood.

3 comments:

  1. this is one of my favorite dishes that my mom makes and yours looks just as good! i looove the moo. i'm gonna take a whack at your recipe~

    ReplyDelete
  2. moo is daikon radish

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share