Friday, June 20, 2008

Jeyook Bokeum - Pork Kimchi Stir Fry - (재육 볶음)

Things needed:

1) 1.25 pounds of sam gyup sal (pork bacon/butt?)
2) 2 tablespoons sesame oil
3) 1 tablespoon minced garlic
4) 1 green jalepeno
5) 1 red jalapeno
6) green onions (you be the judge)
7) onions (a little)
8) 1 tablespoon red pepper paste
9) KIMCHI
10) Tofu


_MG_5229
First get about a pound of pork butt. I just HALF the sam gyup sal that they sell at the Korean Market. That's usually enough for two people and leftovers. Then I poured sesame oil all over it, I'm guessing 2 tablespoons. Let it cook a little and add the minced garlic. About 1 tablespoon or more depending on how you prefer it. I use 2 tablespoons....I love garlic.


_MG_5230
Then when all the pink part of the meat is cooked away, add a tablespoon of red pepper paste and mix really well and continue to let it cook.


_MG_5232
It should start to look like this. Then add the KIMCHI. About half of the amount of pork. As it's cooking A LOT of juices will start to rise up from the pork and the kimchi...don't worry about it. Let this cook on LOW heat for up to an hour! While I let it cook, I cut up all the other veggies. Let it cook for about 45 minutes.


_MG_5234
After 45 minutes or so, start adding the vegetables. You can pretty much add whatever you want or have in the fridge. Onions, green peppers, garlic cloves, carrots, mushrooms, etc. Tonight I added half a onion, 1 serrano chile, green onions, and mushrooms.


_MG_5242
Total cooking time should be just over an hour. The longer you cook it, the more tender the pork becomes.


_MG_5244
This is one of the simplest and yummiest dishes to make. Try it at home~~


_MG_6962
Here's a shot of the finished product. You can plate it with some fresh tofu!

10 comments:

  1. Hi~ Im making this tonight~ so I was wondering do I have to cook the tofu for this dish? or is it served cold right out of its packaging? and is it ok not to add the serrano/chile peppers if I dont have it today? I just dont want to lose out on the taste if its important...Thanx B~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @sooshi - I just use fresh, cold tofu straight from the fridge. it's fine and tastes great. as for the peppers, don't worry about it! it'll taste the same. the most important thing is making sure you cook it for a LONG time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tthank u tthank u ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this tonight, and it's the best recipe yet! My husband and I LOVED it, and the spiciness was just perfect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just cooked as per your recipe and it came out perfectly grand! I love it and all my family love it. They asked me to cook again...Look what you have done!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this dish - I always add a ton on onions as I love onions as well. I decided I would throw in some thinly sliced zucchini as I always love it in the spicy squid dish. I didn't have any tofu - but usually I don't add any to this dish.

    What is wonderful, if you have leftovers - is to make some soup with udon noodles and add this to it. Simply great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in college and I miss Korean food so much! Your site is a great resource and the photos really help! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. This dish is not jae-yook bokeum, it's tofu kimchee (dooboo kimchee). Jae-yook bokeum is made with gochujang and onions with no kimchee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually I've had jae yook bokeum made with kimchi in Korea lots of times.. yum! I think it's true that you can add any kind of veggies you want. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried making this tonight....it started off good but i ended up burning, actually destroying my pan.LOL! Do you need to add oil before putting the sam gyup sal on? i figured the sam ghup sal and sesame oil would be fine.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share